Monday, February 21, 2011

He is worthy of trust

Bithu ba Adonai, Adei Ad. Ki beyah Adonai, tsur Olamin.
(Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting Rock)
"The Lord is my Rock and my Fortress, my Deliverer. He has enlarged my path under me, so my feet did not slip" Psalm 18

"I lift my eyes up to the mountains, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved, He who keeps you will not slumber"
Psalm 121
Sweat dripping, feet slipping, I gazed up at the craggy cliffs that surrounded me on all sides. The Psalms came to life, right before my eyes. I could hear David crying out to the Lord "My soul thirsts for you; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thristy land where there is no water. " (Psalm 63). In the Judean wilderness, God alone can save. He alone is Deliverer. Yet there is such hope when one abides in Him! "He shall be like a tree, planted by streams of living water, that bringeth forth fruit in its season" (Psalm 1).

In the midst of a dry and barren land, there is a cry for life in the desert oasises. I cannot describe the joy one feels after walking for hours in the deserty hills, only to round a corner to find streams of pools and palm trees!

The steep ravines and jagged cliffs gave me an insight to the Psalms I hitherto had missed. In my heart, I longed as the Psalmist did, for God to lead and guide me along the straight and narrow path. I thought of David in the cliffs above, hiding from Saul and wondering what God had in store. He learned to trust in those days, knowing that only God could bring about his kingship. "Why are you cast down, O my soul? Hope in God, for I will yet praise Him" (Psalm 42).

God is worthy of our trust. He has "searched me and known me" and He loves me still. "Where can I go from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there. If I make my bed in the depths of Sheol, You are there. If i rise on the wings of the dawn... even there your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast" (Psalm 139). Put your confidence in the God who is forever faithful, for He will never disappoint. He has fashioned and created you, and He is able to hold you still.

Hodu la Adonai! All praise to our God who is enthroned in the heavens!

No comments:

Post a Comment