Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Culture SHOCK

Yep. It's officially hit me. I'm no longer in Israel. I knew the change would be strange "Woah, that cup is HUGE! You mean I can refill it as many times as I want???" or absentmindedly sticking my gum in the flight safety manuel... and cutting off at least 50 people to get on the plane (Israelis don't stand in line.. they smush).

But i wasn't prepared for the differences in me. I laughed to myself as both my parents whipped out their GPS's just in case we got lost, even though i basically knew where we were going. At IBEX, if we got lost it didn't matter, we'd find it somehow.. so enjoy the scenery along the way! Israelis have little care for time and so I find myself dillydallying the day away, in no hurry at all, watching as my family scurries to make the most of it.

The biggest struggle, however, is learning to transfer what I've learned from Israel to America. The lessons God has taught me in the last 3 1/2 months are so valuable to life, I don't ever want to forget! Yet, it is so different here, and therefore the application of those lessons has been different too. For those 3 1/2 months, I lived and breathed with 28 other students who lived life solely in that moment to learn and talk about Christ.
Oh how i miss that fellowship.

And yet, God has been so good and faithful. The same God that brought me through the land of Israel lives in my heart here in America. He has ordained my steps, and taught me that wherever I am, is exactly where He wants me to be. So though it may feel strange for a time, He has promised to go before me!

As my 16-yr-old Israeli friend told me, "wherever you are, be ALL there". As much as I miss Israel, it is so good to be home. Life moves us from place to place and the the choice is always in front of us, "will you make the most of THIS moment? Or waste it reminiscing on the last?"

I thank the Lord for Israel. The memories I will never forget. He brought me and taught me in a way that I never dreamed was possible.. but for now, my place is here. Truth be told, I am getting so excited about what He has in store for the future!

So before this blog post fun ends, I want to share with you what Israel has taught me.. so look for "lessons from Israel"  in the next couple of days!

Shalom till then!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! So happy that you had such an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete