Sunday, June 5, 2011

The First Week

The first week of camp is over! I am so exhausted but yet so fulfilled; there is nothing like sharing the gospel. I have learned so much already and heard the Lord's calling on my life more strongly than I ever have before. Hopefully, it will encourage and uplift your hearts!

This past week, I have fallen in love with six 12 and 13 yr olds =). Most of them come from families who only use Jesus' name in vain - yet they had such a thirst for the knowledge of God. In our small group times, they asked all kinds of questions: How is God 3 in 1? What is hell like? Why did Satan think He could win against God?

But the question that got me the most was "How do missionaries know that they are called?" I explained that God lays a burden on their hearts, and they can't imagine doing anything else - they MUST share the gospel. The camper than asked me "Ellen, were you called to Snowbird?" I stopped.

God had called me here and laid it on my heart to share the gospel to young women! In fact, He had been calling me to that through high school and college. As i knelt before the altar on friday night, tears streaming down my face, I finally acknowledged that this is what He has created me to do, I must share the gospel to the women of this world. Do I have a clue where that will lead? Nope. But I know that He will lead and guide me all the way.

After the sermon on missions, I held six weeping girls in my arms. Their families are not Christians and destined for hell. As we talked, I challenged them to be missionaries to their families, to read and study His word so that their lives would be a reflection of Him! I write this so you may be encouraged; God is working in the lives of young people even today. They promised to read and study - the book of John first. Pray that the Lord would continue to grow them even amidst adverse circumstances!

My favorite part of the whole week was studying the first chapter of Mark with them. 12 girls came to me and asked if I would do a biblestudy with them! For a whole hour, I taught about John the Baptist, Jesus and His ministry, and how we can correctly respond to His words. What a blessed time! After a semester studying the Life of Christ in Israel, I cannot help but smile - He has prepared me for this. I showed them pictures of Israel that pertained to the chapter - the wilderness where Jesus was tempted, the synagogue at Capernaum etc.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is changing people's lives, even before my very eyes. Is it changing yours? 

2 comments:

  1. i love this! I am so thankful that the Lord is already using what you have learned over the recent three months in Israel. Praying for you as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just what I needed to read right now. I am discouraged today--not seeing results and change--and it is beautiful to hear that God IS doing something, changing hearts and saving people. So exciting to hear. Thanks, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete