Friday, July 27, 2012

Lessons on forgiveness from a 5 yr old

First, let me introduce you to Lee Margaret. She is the sweetest, cutest, 5-yr-old I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She loves to laugh, run, and always has a smile on her face!

One night during devotions, she told us the story of Jesus on the cross. "Jesus came to save people from their sins. But bad men hurt him, oh yes, they hit him with sticks and were very mean. But He still loved them and died on the cross for them. He didn't stay dead though, because angels came and now He is alive in heaven!"

We were all left in tears. "That's right, Lee Margaret", one of the counselors said, and in our hearts resounded one amen.

The Story of Forgiveness

It was the night of Council Ring, where all the girls gather in their tribes around the fire, eager for the new "pale-face" campers to be initiated into a tribe.

I was also to be inititated as part of Central Staff, an extremely gross but fun experience. They blindfolded me and drenched me in maple syrup, baby powder, mayo, birdseed - and much more!

Once they took off my blindfold, I was eager to get someone messy. So i chased one of the other Central Staff around the fire and jumped on her to hug her! In the chaos, she fell right into one of the tribes, right on top of Lee Margaret.

Imagine. Tons of girls screaming, excitement, and all of a sudden, everyone is falling on top of you. In her fear, and pain from hitting her head on the bench, she started crying immediately. Her mom rushed in, scooped her up, and started carrying her back to camp.

I felt awful. I ran to catch up with her, eager to apologize and make things right. Those little eyes met mine, and a big smile came upon her face. "I forgive you. It's ok Ewen, I love you." Full and complete forgiveness from a pair of innocent brown eyes.

She opened her arms to give me a hug. "But Lee Margaret", I said, "I am really messy and dirty. You don't want to hug me now."

"I don't care", she said, and gave me the biggest hug ever. "Lee Margaret", I said with tears welling up in my eyes, "I have a secret for you. I'm going to let you sleep with my stuffed animal, Ella the Elephant, tonight!"

She squealed with utter delight. And with another hug, we walked hand in hand, back to camp, best of friends.

I could tell you theoretically what forgiveness looks like. I can give you all the Bible verses pertaining to forgiveness. But Lee Margaret gave me so much more - she lived it.

She has never once brought up that day again. I'm convinced it's because she has completely forgotten about it. True forgiveness does that.




No comments:

Post a Comment