Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Coward

I stared into the face of a coward tonight. Her eyes met mine; unflinching, no hint of shame. Only a tinge of sadness marked her face, a kind of resignation to her fate.

I threw my accusations against her, my voice rising in disgust. How could she bear to live that way?

Old eyes. I could feel myself falling, lost in its depths, desperately looking for a way out.

"Bravery", they said, "A wish we cannot find; a wind that touches, caresses, and then is gone, and the place remembers it no more".

"Try harder!" I cried.
"It is no use", they said. "What more can we do?"

Desperation flooded my soul, my voice too shaken to utter a sound.

Defeated eyes rose to meet mine, compassion turned to look my way. 

I stared into the face of a coward tonight, and the mirror stared right back at me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment